Legal Success Built On Integrity And Passion

What should you do when you cannot rely on child support?

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2018 | Child Support, Firm News |

Your divorce is finally over and you are beginning to pick up the pieces and move forward. Your children live with you and you have assumed all of the responsibilities of the custodial parent. The only issue is that your ex is not in the position financially to be able to pay child support. Fortunately, when you plan responsibly and acknowledge the problem before it is too late, you can continue to provide for your children without letting your ex feel like he or she is permanently relieved of all financial obligations in Oregon.

According to U.S. News, you will benefit from continuing to keep your ex involved, even if he or she is currently unable to make payments. If your ex is simply unable to afford payments right now, using your children as leverage to force him or her to pay is often more counterproductive. You may find that your ex becomes increasingly bitter and even more adamant to refuse to make payments even if a point is reached where finances allow contribution. However, if you let your ex continue to see and build a relationship with your children, he or she may be much more willing and even eager to contribute funds when that position is reached from a financial standpoint. 

Another valuable suggestion is to maintain a positive perspective. Even if your ex is unable to make the entire payment, ask him or her to contribute as much as possible until he or she is able to pay the amount in full. Additionally, budget your money wisely and do not rely on child support payments if you are unsure that you will be receiving them. 

The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.