Legal Success Built On Integrity And Passion

Salem Child Relocation Attorney

Fate sometimes compels parents to move out of state. However, state law requires them to obtain permission from the court before moving out of state with their children. Whether you plan to move or your former spouse plans to move, you need an attorney who can effectively represent you. I am attorney Daniel J. Lounsbury, and for many years, clients in the Salem area have turned to me for assistance with parental relocation and move-aways.

Marion County Parental Relocation Lawyer

When a parent attempts to move without asking for a modification from the court, serious problems can arise. The best course of action when planning to move out of state with a child is to speak to a lawyer before taking any further steps.

The court’s decision to allow a parent to move out of state will hinge on a variety of factors, including:

  • Employment. Moving out of state for a better job or transfer may be considered a valid reason for a move.
  • Parental involvement. If the parent who will be left behind is very involved in the child’s life, the court will weigh this information in its decision to allow the other parent to move.
  • Current parenting time schedule. The quantity of the noncustodial parent’s parenting time is a significant factor in the court’s decision.
  • Extended family. Family ties are a part of a child’s well-being. A child who is surrounded by a loving family in Oregon may not be better off after moving.

As with child custody, the primary factor in the court’s decision is the best interests of the child. The burden of proof is on the parent who wishes to move. That means, if you plan to move out of state, you will need to demonstrate that the move will be beneficial to your child.

Contact Daniel J. Lounsbury Attorney at Law

As a Salem child relocation lawyer, I am prepared to help you do what is in your best interests and what is best for you. Contact my office in Salem at 503-967-3119 or 800-615-7072.