Legal Success Built On Integrity And Passion

What happens if your ex fails to pay child support in Oregon?

On Behalf of | Aug 5, 2019 | Child Support, Firm News |

When you have a child support order in place in Oregon, you probably expect that your child’s other parent will do his or her duty and pay the child support on time and as ordered. Regrettably, however, this is not always the way things work, and in some situations, you may need the state to intervene if you are not getting the amount your child support order dictates. Just what might the state be able to do to help you get your hands on the child support owed to you?

According to the Oregon Department of Justice, the state may step in and collect child support in a number of different ways when someone with an existing child support order fails to uphold its terms. One such method might involve withholding any state or federal tax refunds intended for the nonpaying parent until you receive the total amount owed to you.

If your child’s nonpaying parent owns real estate in Oregon, the state may also place a lien against that property until the parent pays in full, which essentially bars this person from selling the home until he or she catches up with child support. The state may, too, garnish bank accounts, lottery winnings, inheritances and other income streams to cover the amount of past-due child support.

Failing to adhere to the terms of a child support agreement can also potentially threaten the career or lifestyle of your child’s other parent. He or she may, for example, see his or her driver’s, recreational or professional license undergo suspension until he or she pays the balance in full, and he or she may, too, lose his or her passport until settling the child support debt.

This copy is meant for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice.